WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, February 03, 2006

DREW KONOP

After multiple requests, this is Drew.

His name was Andrew. But he went by the name of Drew. My first time meeting him was in 4th grade. We shared Mrs. Schmidt's class together. I found him to be a decent guy. But we weren't friends or anything. At that time, I believe he was best buddies with Jeff Salstrand. At some point that year, I ran into the two of them at Prange Way. We were all looking at Star Wars figures.

Near the end of that school year, our class went on a field trip somewhere. Drew's mom came as a chaperone. For some reason she loaned me a quarter for something. I was supposed to pay Drew back the next day. I never did. Drew pestered me for it for awhile. But I never paid up. It wasn't out of malice. I just kept forgetting. Eventually, so did he. With Wisconsin's 12% post-judgement interest rate, that comes to an additional 75 cents I owe. So Drew, as of today, I owen your mom $1.00. Don't pester me about it. I'm sure I'll remember to pay up one of these days.

After 4th grade, I had little contact with Drew. Apparently sometime either before or during 6th grade, he met fellow graduate Brett Gruetzmacher. The two of them became fast friends, and remained that way all the way through graduation. Drew and Brett shared a table together in Mr. Franke's 8th grade science class.

In high school we pretty much stayed apart from one another. Drew hung with the more "in crowd" people. And he had a moustache.

After high school, I believe Drew went on to college somewhere - perhaps majoring in business. He had aspirations of taking over companies, and working for the "Big 8" in Chicago.

Drew once got in trouble for carrying a phony ID.

While working at the video stroe, I had the opportunity to run into nearly everyone I went to school with. And with only one exception, everyone was cordial. Drew was the one exception. He was with a friend - or perhaps a girlfriend. I don't remember. But I didn't get a "hi" or a smile - nothing. In all fairness, I didn't initiate anything either.

In 2004, it looks like Drew donated $100.00 to those "swift boat" people who were trying to smear John Kerry.

Today I believe that Drew lives in the Milwaukee area. As far as I know, he is not married.

UPDATE - 11/10/06 - Here is Drew, along with Brett Gruetzmacher, from our senior video.

4 Comments:

At Fri Feb 03, 12:56:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Damn! Kelly Haataja. I knew that too. Thanks for filling in the gap. I think Kelly had a baby sometime around 1992 or so. I actually have something of hers. It's a wrist strap thing for playing tennis. I saw it at Dave's house one day, and put it on. When I got around to taking it off, I was at home. There is stands to this day.

 
At Tue Feb 07, 08:51:00 PM PST, Blogger SonnyKidd said...

I feel I must comment. After all, I was forced to disown Drew as a friend by my parents. Hint for all you parents out there...that doesn't work, and not only that, the exact opposite is likely to happen. As it turns out, Drew ended up standing up in my wedding in 1995, and yes, I'm one of those that is still married 10 years later.

I, like Brad, could go many different directions. Let's see...one memory which sticks with me even today is of a fateful sleepover at Drew's house. I don't recall who else was in attendance, sorry. But we were all at Drew's house, he was one of the lucky ones out there to have "cool" parents, though not drinking on the front porch "cool", right Cheese? Anyways, it was a typical preteen boys sleepover (sorry girls, no details). We did rent 2 scary movies. Little did we know they would wind up being classics, Halloween and Friday the 13th. First we all almost pissed ourselves, sitting in the dark, as Jason (not me, the other one) leaps out of the lake at the end of Friday the 13th. So we were a little on edge for the second flick. By now, everyone is familiar with Michael Myers, a butcher knife, ghostly white mask and green jumpsuit. What many of you may not know, is that Drew's brother Scott...well he's pretty tall aaaaaaaand pretty pale. And when he's standing outside looking through the window at a bunch of nerved out boys, well he's a dead ringer for Michael Myers. We all screamed like school girls. To this day, Halloween remains one of my all-time favorite flicks.

And Roo? While we may not see each other much (that's putting it lightly), when we do, it's like we've hung out every day since high school. That was our kind of friendship.

 
At Fri Jan 05, 07:52:00 AM PST, Blogger Pewter said...

Ahhh yes, hitting the harmonica to Billy Joel’s piano man.

 
At Tue Jun 03, 01:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Danielle said...

Hi Drew!

My memory of you is from Kelly as well, but that is of course because she's my sister! Hope all is well with you! Danielle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home