WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, April 07, 2006

CINDY ROHRER

Cindy was a girl who I met in 5th grade. She and I had Ms. Krause together.

Cindy was a tall girl. She had really long legs and long blonde hair. She was the object of affection to many a young male. In fact, I can remember seeing her after school one day. She was getting a drink at the bubbler. I was with Doug Wall. We were about to walk home together. But I wanted to get a drink myself. Doug was obviously admiring what he saw in Cindy. And when Cindy stood up from the bubbler and turned around, Doug looked right at her and said, "Can I fuck you?" I don't even know if I knew what exactly fucking someone entailed. But I knew it was dirty and sex related. I burst out laughing. Cindy looked disgusted.

Cindy's dad came to school one day, and brought a video camera. He took video of the whole class. In fact, as I recall, everyone introduced themselves on the tape. Man, I would kill to see that tape today. I wonder if it still exists. Cindy asked me one day, "Why were you making a face on the video?" I didn't have a reason. But I do remember doing that. I was sitting in the front row at the time. And Cindy's dad was moving across the room, one row at a time. I made my face then chuckled.

In the spring of that year, our whole class took a bus trip to some land that Cindy's family owned. There was a big pond or something - lots of small fish and frogs. Apparently this was a tradition for Cindy's classes over the years. I'd heard that in prior years, there was some sort of unwelcome sign on the driveway that said something like, "Get the hell out!"

In 8th grade, my science class with Mr. Franke headed over to the other science class that hour, which was in Mr. Lehman's room. Mr. Lehman had a canister of helium. And a few of the students got a chance to inhale some, and thus talk like Daffy Duck. Now we all know the deal with helium. As soon as you take a breath, your normal voice comes back. Right? Well, that is of course correct - unless you're dealing with Cindy Rohrer. Cindy was in Lehman's class. She got to try the helium. And even after she started breathing, her voice wouldn't go back to normal. Cindy somehow defied the laws of physics. After about a minute, her voice returned to normal. But still, that was quite a thing to see.

Over the years, I think I had a few classes with Cindy. But we never had much contact. I seem to recall her and Ross Hofmann possibly being an item or something. But I could be wrong.

During our freshman year, I can recall going outside during lunch. Ron Gretz and Mike Zeman were with me. There was a gym class going on outside. And we sat and watched them for awhile. Cindy swore at someone, and got caught by Ms. Vesper. Vesper made her run around the field as a punishment.

In the second semester of our freshman year, Cindy sat in front of me in Mrs. Fischer's english class. She shared a table with Chris Thee. Anyway, at some point that year, she gave a speech. And she shared a story about how she, Julie Scott, Josie Scott and Kelly Hall had slept over at someone's house. And early the next morning, they got locked out of the house or something. It was very early - like 5:30 or something. And for whatever reason, they had to change their clothes. So they all disrobed near the bushes or something - unaware that a paperboy was nearby. When they were done, the paperboy came over. And he allegedly told them that he really hadn't seen anything.

Although Cindy and I never had much contact, I will say this. She was bar none, one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. I don't think she had a mean bone in her body. She was always smiling, always happy, and never had an unkind word for anyone. Cindy was top notch.

If I'm not mistaken, Cindy's family ran Phil Rohrer's restaurant in Two Rivers. That place is a staple of that town. And as far as I know, it's still open today. But strangely, I have never had one of their famous burgers.

In highschool, I believe Cindy's best friends were Tammy Franzen and Carrie Collard. I think she dated class of 1990's Steve Kaiser. Or was she with class of 1990's Shawn Kaiser? No, I think it was Steve.

I believe the last time I saw Cindy was in the fall of 1989. I was at Uni-Mart on Mishicot Road. Cindy came in and bumped into me - on purpose. That was her way of saying hi. We spoke for a few minutes before parting ways.

Cindy had planned to move to New Jersey. And she did just that, staying there for 10 years or so. At some point she got married and became Cindy Bucco. For the last several years, I believe they've lived in Florida, not too far from Miami.

UPDATE - 4/10/06 - As mentioned in Meff's comments, here is a newspaper article about the doughnut maker. Thanks to Cindy for providing it. The second picture is of Cindy's 11-month-old baby, Leo.

UPDATE - 5/17/06 - Cindy sent me another picture. The one on the bottom is of Michelle Nicolas, Cindy, and Jenny Malley. I'm guessing it was taken around 2nd grade. Speaking of Michelle, the picture below this one is Michelle today. She's married and is now known as Michelle Hubert. She's been in the military for 17 years. I'm sorry this girl moved before I came to town. She was a hottie - and still is today.

UPDATE - 8/10/06 - A new photo of Cindy has emerged. In this one you can see her face - most of it anyway. She's with her son. You can see it below.











UPDATE - 8/15/06 - Fianlly, an up-to-date full face shot is available for Cindy. Look down to see it.



UPDATE - 11/13/06 - On Saturday, Augsut 12th, 2006, Kevin Dehne and I took our second trip to Two Rivers. We stopped for lunch at Phil Rohrer's. You can see the sign below.



UPDATE - 1/3/07 - Thanks to Tammy Franzen for providing me these four pictures of Cindy and her. The first three were taken on a vacation to Key West. The last picture is of the two of them, along with Carrie Collard (and their families) from July, 2006.










UPDATE - 1/4/07 - Below is a birthday card from 7th grade that Cindy still has. There's some interesting names on there.



UPDATE - 7/10/07 - Cindy had another baby boy three days ago. She sent me the two photos below. He was born 7/7/07. Her first son was born 5/5/05. So I'm sure something's bound to happen 9/9/09. Congratulations to her!



8 Comments:

At Fri Apr 07, 01:48:00 PM PDT, Blogger karmadog said...

Cindy was the first person I ever knew whose family owned a video camera. Second grade was the first time I recall them using it. We all were amazed. It weighed about 89 pounds and was the size of a Buick. It took black & white videos. I asked her how long it took to develop the film, and she said you just took it home and could watch it right on the TV. I was absolutely stunned.

In second grade, I remember watching the video they'd made of our class. Most of it was a pan shot of the whole classroom. We were all quietly waving at the camera. The best part was when it got to Shawn Pickard's desk. Shawn was seated right next to where the camera was (he was usually separated from the rest of the class, due to his behavior). So there was this sudden extreme close-up of Shawn standing with one foot on his desk, the other on the floor, waving broadly with a big goofy smile on his face. The entire class broke up when we saw it.

Needless to say, home video was still something of a novelty in 1979.

 
At Fri Apr 07, 01:49:00 PM PDT, Blogger karmadog said...

Oh yeah-- good to hear from you, Cindy. Hope you're doing well!

 
At Fri Apr 07, 02:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger jenny said...

cindy, my "bestest" friend for years! cindy if you read this, i somehow lost your email address when i moved from san diego to santa cruz!!!
i have so many memories, i don't know where to start. we were so silly back then, from "kick the can" to lip synching "rock lobster" and playing a little air guitar to van halen. those were some of my best times of my sweet life. love to you and your family from the bottom of my heart! i still love you girl!

 
At Fri Apr 07, 05:07:00 PM PDT, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Get to work Cindy. We have got to get some of those tapes onto this blog!

 
At Fri Apr 07, 07:21:00 PM PDT, Blogger karmadog said...

I have somedrawing at these sites:

http://www.greg-pagel.blinkz.com/albums/thumbnails/196518.htm

http://www.myspace.com/gregpagel

...and I think I still owe you a picture of ET...I'll try to get on that.

 
At Tue Apr 08, 11:43:00 AM PDT, Blogger jnovak said...

Hey Cindy,

Do you remember that video you, Shawn, and I made for that creative something class we had? I still laugh thinking about it.

 
At Thu Apr 10, 05:24:00 AM PDT, Blogger CindySue said...

Hi, Good to hear from you. Thanks for the comment. Do you have that video anywhere? I would love to see it.

 
At Thu Apr 17, 08:13:00 AM PDT, Blogger jnovak said...

Sorry, I dont have one. But I am going back to Wisconsin in July, I'll go see if he has it, and if he does I'll make a copy of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home