WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, February 17, 2006

BECKY KOEPPEL

I first met Becky in Ms. Krause's 5th grade class. Becky was taller than most everyone - including the guys.

My only memory of her from that year was when the class was talking about a possible skit or something involving playing the parts of food or condiments. Ms. Krause suggested that Becky play the part of a vegetable. Ken Bartz then proclaimed, "She looks like a vegetable." The class laughed. Ms. Krause smiled, paused a bit, then said, "I don't think that's funny." In Ken's defense, I don't think he meant anything negative by it. Becky had curly hair. And to be honest, I always thought she kind of reminded me of a carrot.

At Clarke, I know I had Becky in some classes. I think we had every class together in 7th grade. In fact, if memory serves, Jenny Malley told me that she and Becky were on the basketball team. And Becky used to fool around in the locker room after showering, flashing her butt, saying "This butt's for you."

In 8th grade, Becky got contact lenses. I remember her having to leave Mr. Monka's class one day, because she was having problems with one of them. I've had Lasik recently. I don't miss the days of contacts.

In high school, Becky excelled at sports - volleyball, basketball, softball, just about any ball she touched. She was the female sports superstar.

Becky was one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't like her.

In our junior year, Richard and I decided to thumb our nose at the school by playing cards during a pep rally. I brought a deck from home. We positioned ourselves right in the middle between the juniors and the seniors, so everyone could see what we were doing. Dave Svatek and a giggly Brandon Podhola also joined us. As we started, an irritated Becky came over and asked us to move out of sight, if we truly were going to play. We declined.

To my knowledge, Becky's long time best friend was fellow graduate Brenda Dax.

After high school, I believe Becky went to St. Norbert's, where she continued to excell in sports, even setting some softball pitching records. Eventually she got married and became Becky Lueck. I think she has at least two kids. Last I knew, she was living in the Green Bay area.

UPDATE - 4/10/06 - Cindy Rohrer sent me the picture below of Becky and Brenda Dax. I believe that's Tammy Franzen in the background. This was from 1989.

2 Comments:

At Fri Feb 17, 07:37:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

I'm good friends with Becky's sister Sue and her boy, James. They take piano lessons from me.

I told Sue about the Blog, and she said Becky's seen it, so I reckon she'll be along shortly.

 
At Mon Jan 22, 10:25:00 AM PST, Blogger Burnsy1990 said...

You should have been behind the plate. My left hand was black and blue every season that I caught for Becky. Funny that I never saw the smoke from the fire in center or right field, or a weinie during any of the games!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home