WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Monday, February 13, 2006

PAULA JONAS

The quickest way to get me to write about someone is for that person to come on my blog and post some comments. In honor of Paula's appearance, this is what I recall.

I first remember Paula in 7th grade. And it's an odd, ongoing memory. At some point that year, Paula decided that she was in love with me - or so she said. Granted, she wasn't serious, obviously. But nonetheless, whenever our paths crossed, she would declare her undying love for me. I have to wonder if she even remembers that. But it lasted for months. What was her motivation for it? I don't know. Was she egged on by a few select friends? I don't know. I kind of liked the attention. Although I was embarrassed by it too.

By 8th grade, all the love was gone. (Sigh) I had her in Mr. Stodola's math class. For whatever reason, one day I had the word "Borf" written on my paper. She walked by and said, "What's that... boy?" The attention-starved Dave Kanera then walked by and said something like, "Yeah, it's Boy Burt. He has to say that so he knows what sex he is." For several months, Dave and Paula referred to me as Boy Burt. Whatever.

I don't know which year it was. But I know it took place at Clarke. It was a Monday. We were in the hot lunch line near one another. And Paula had spent way too much time in the sun over the weekend. Her arms were burned as bad as I'd ever seen anyone's. Honestly, they were as red as tomatoes. You could tell she was in pain too.

In high school our paths didn't cross too much. Initially, I thought of her as being really snobby. However, from what I saw, she got much nicer with age. In fact, she was quite charming and friendly by the time high school ended. I found her to be very pleasant.

At some point during high school, she began to go out with class of 1990's Cory Shimulunas. I don't know if it's true or not. But in our senior year (I think) I heard that the two of them had some sort of argument and broke up - allegedly right before a big basketball game. And the basketball coach, Mr. Wegner was pissed at Paula for doing it at that time. So much drama! Did it happen? Who knows. But if it did, it obviously didn't last long. They must have made up. Because eventually they got married, and remain so to this day.

I ran into Paula and Cory hundreds of times at the video store. Both of them were as nice as could be, and were always smiling and happy. To this day, I believe they still live in Two Rivers. I think they have three children. Last I knew, Paula worked for Aurora.

UPDATE - 2/15/06 - Paula has provided a recent picture of her and her daughter. Thank you Paula! (Click it to get the full size).



UPDATE - 7/20/06 - On July 15th, Kevin Dehne and I stopped in to see Paula. We met her three kids as well. Although her husband was out of town at the time. We sat and talked (and gossiped) for maybe 25 minutes, and had two sodas as well. Before we left, we snapped the photo below.



UPDATE - 11/20/06 - Here's some video from that 7/15/06 visit.



UPDATE - 10/4/07 - Back in July, Erin Hynek visited Two Rivers. One night she went out with Brenda Gordon and Paula. While they were out, they ran into Mark Gordon. The results are the picture below.

7 Comments:

At Tue Feb 14, 09:06:00 AM PST, Blogger SonnyKidd said...

Ditto to what Cheese said. Paula's parents were among the best, oh and Paula was pretty cool too. How we never drowned back then Stroufy is beyond me, two drunks waxing philosophical on a breezy Lake Michigan pier/breakwater, what could go wrong? Any time you wanna take a long walk off of a short pier, I'm there man.

Congrats on the 12 year anniversary coming up Paula. Shoot Burt a pic, we'd all love to see the family I'd wager. Stay cool.

 
At Tue Feb 14, 03:48:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Ah... to hear that love again. After 22 years, I knew it was still there. I just knew it. I love you too Paula. I could never say that before. But I can now. But we're both happily married.

What could have been... :)

 
At Wed Feb 15, 08:19:00 AM PST, Blogger Lisa said...

I am lucky to be able to call Paula one of my best friends!! Funny, considering we had very little contact in high school. I even checked in my yearbook and in our senior year Paula wrote "Good luck in whatever you decide to do"!! She obviously had no idea we were destined to be friends!!! Fortunately, we started to hang out that summer and it just grew from there!

Paula is a true and honest person and somebody I can always count on to tell me what is on her mind. She loves my husband, maybe a little too much, but I'm okay with that!

She didn't mention that she also has an obsession with running and she's good at it!!

As for the break ups?? I don't really remember anything like that. It's not like she ever threw her ring in the snow and wandered around the East side of Milwaukee by herself, or anything like that!! Her and Cory really are going on 12 years!!

Paula is a blast to be around and I can't wait to be friends with her when we're old and gray!!
Love ya Paula!!!

 
At Wed Apr 26, 12:34:00 PM PDT, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Let's see some of them!

 
At Sat Dec 09, 08:19:00 PM PST, Blogger CreativeMuse said...

Hey PJ,
I remember growing up with Paula "PJ" on Harbor Street. Since 1976! Aaah, the memories of wee Little Mermaids, Barbies, playing boardgames like Parcheesi, Payday, Trouble... you name it! I still to this day don't know how I got a cigarette burn in my pajamas!

We used to rehearse "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" WITH UMBRELLAS in my basement, then wait for a rainy summer day to come so we could perform. My mom has a picture of us splashing around in our rain slickers (yep, those lovely vinyl ones) with umbrellas in hand.

We dressed Brian up in girl clothes. :) Hehe! Played cowboys and indians with Eric and Mark Cyr, your brother Jamie, Brian Vanne, my sis Becky, Brian's sister Beth. Had a BLAST!

And... we cannot forget... KICKBALL!!!!!!! OVER THE FENCE is a HOME RUN!

My mom and dad sold their house now... so 1123 Harbor won't ever be the same. *sniff* I know your mom was really, really sad to see them leave. I was too. I loved that house and the childhood memories it held.

Paula would practice basketball for HOURS with her dad in her driveway. I'd watch on envious of her dedication. I didn't have that same passion for it... or just didn't like Coach Wood. :) She kicked my ass in B-Ball all the time. Made me a better defender I think!

I could go on and on about PJ. :) I consider her one of my best friends as a child, growing up in "Trivers".

Would love to hook up again in the near future. Next time you're in Green Bay...look me up. :)

Love ya,
Monz

 
At Mon Jul 09, 09:33:00 AM PDT, Blogger pkcooks said...

Hi Paula! Laura said you wanted her to say hello to me. I hope things are going well for you in T.R.!! She told me that the Ethnic Fest is really fun there and she said I should try to come home for it. I flaked out for the 4th of July so now I owe her and my fam another trip - is the fest in October? Hope you and your family are doing well!! Phuong

 
At Mon Nov 19, 04:59:00 PM PST, Blogger miztec said...

paula. oh my god i remember this too burt. she would always call my name so id look at her then shed have sweet beautiful smile and whisper "i love you" to me. either that or she would ask "will u go out with me?" hahahaha but i left it at that cuz i knew she was just teasing cuz if i remember correctly julie scott and cindy would do the same thing to me. bunch of teaserss hahahaha such fun times at clark..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home