WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Thursday, February 09, 2006

BRENDA GORDON

Brenda Gordon is someone I don't believe I had any contact with whatsoever - zilch, nada... nothing. Oh wait, I remember that she wore glasses.

I think she was there with me all four years of high school. I don't think she was at Clarke, which leads me to believe she was a product of the catholic schools.

At some point in high school, she began to go out with fellow graduate Jeff Gordon. Perhaps they met in homeroom. They no doubt shared homeroom for four years.

I believe Brenda was friends with fellow graduate Becky Monka. In fact, as I recall, the two of them were both going to go on to college in Minnesota - probably to be roommates. I assume Brenda went. But I don't think either one of them stayed in Minnesota for too long.

When my friend Dave reconnected with Becky in 1992, she was still friends with Brenda. I heard a voicemail she left on Becky's answering machine. In fact, Dave referred to her as an "airhead." But in Dave's defense, I think what he meant was that she was "book smart" - but a little ditzy as well. I don't know. I never knew her enough to judge. She seemed pleasant enough to me.

Eventually Brenda and Jeff got married. What's so cool is that she didn't even need to change her last name.

I don't recall if I ever ran into her at the video store. But I did run into Jeff once or twice over the years. I believe he mentioned that they were living in Cedarburg at the time. But since then, they have moved back to Two Rivers. They have at least two kids. And if I'm not mistaken, Brenda once worked at our old high school. I don't think she's there now though. But she may still be in the teaching field somewhere in the area.

As a last bit of trivia, I can say that I have been in her current residence on several occasions. That might shock her to know. But she shouldn't be. The house she and Jeff live in was in fact owned by the grandparents of my friend Meff (Jeff Messerman) - a regular contributor on this blog. Small world.

UPDATE - 2/16/06 - The Gordon's have sent a group photo of class of 1989 offspring. From left to right are the children of Jeff & Brenda Gordon, Paula Jonas, Erin Hynek, Paula Jonas, Jeff & Brenda Gordon, Lisa Koch, Lisa Koch, Paula Jonas, and Erin Hynek. Call them the class of 2013-2019. All is well, save for that Chicago Bears helmet. What the hell??? (Click it for a larger version).



UPDATE - 7/20/06 - On July 15th, Kevin Dehne and I stopped in to see Brenda and Jeff. We caught her just as she was leaving for an in-home party - candles or Mary Kay or something. It was the first time in my life that I'd ever spoken to her. A picture from that day is below.



UPDATE - 11/23/06 - Here is some video from that July 15th visit.



UPDATE - 6/18/07 - Thanks to Shannon Koch for providing these photos of Brenda from graduation day - June 4th, 1989.







UPDATE - 10/4/07 - Back in July, Erin Hynek visited Two Rivers. One night she went out with Paula Jonas and Brenda. While they were out, they ran into Mark Gordon. The results are the picture below.

8 Comments:

At Thu Feb 09, 09:57:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I'll be dogged. I've made a few mistakes. I'm sure they weren't the first. Do me a favor, go into Sharla and Pookie's entries and put those corrections in the comments. Others may not see them in here.

And of course, welcome. I look forward to your input. Any stories? This is the place!

I'll be looking for the pic. Say hi to your husband for me.

 
At Fri Feb 10, 09:03:00 AM PST, Blogger Lisa said...

Brenda Gordon.....WOW....that's a name I haven't thought about in years!! Ha! Just kidding!! Brenda was, is, and always will be one of my very best friends!

We met in 4th grade and although I don't have quite the memory Burt does, I do remember laughing a lot with her. We remained friends through high school, and even started college together, roomed together, and lived off campus together for a year. Even when we weren't at the same college anymore, we always kept in contact and stayed close.

We stood up in each other's weddings in '94 and '95 and our kids are the same ages. We continue to be great friends and although we live over an hour and a half apart, we get together at least once a month!! How's that for longevity of a friendship!! Ditzy or not, I still love ya girl!

 
At Fri Feb 10, 02:16:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Wow. If you find any of those items, you have to take a picture of them!

 
At Mon Feb 13, 08:38:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Jeff Gordon hasn't been lost in the shuffle. I will get to him very soon.

 
At Thu Feb 16, 07:56:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Considering the Packers level of play in the 1980's, it's not all that surprising.

 
At Mon Feb 20, 10:50:00 AM PST, Blogger Jen said...

had to chime in... brenda and jeff live next door to my 'rents. their boys are the most handsome rugrats! wayyy cute kids.

 
At Mon Feb 20, 01:20:00 PM PST, Blogger Jen said...

likewise jeff! i know my fam would luv to keep y'all. and i'm sure bed-head-red will miss yr pup through the fence slats.

so can u hear marc's band coming from the depths of their house? i always wondered & never remember to ask...

 
At Thu Mar 12, 11:33:00 PM PDT, Blogger JED said...

Hi, Brenda:
I don't belong on this blog. I stumbled onto it googling "John Palmer Kern" and laughed my ass off when I ended up here. The blog about his dad is excellent ... my compliments to the author. I was a Class of '90 member, but always wanted to be part of the Class of '89 ... that's why I hung out at the lockers of Jim, Jeremy, and Jeff every morning. We even changed my name to Jed (real name Ted) so that I would fit in with the other three "J's".

Anyway, you and Lisa were so incredibly nice to me in high school. I had a small amount of popularity because I played basketball, but was pretty much a nerd and a social invalid ... didn't drink, didn't "party", didn't date, got good grades, and didn't reach puberty until my sophomore year of college ... LATE BLOOMER INDEED!!! However, you and Lisa were so nice to me when I ended up at countless parties I had no business attending (only there because I was on the team). You both made sure my night wasn't spent just sitting in the corner, drinking soda, and calculating how long it would actually take me to walk home. THANKS for being so kind. I hope that life has been as kind to you as you were to me.

One of my favorite memories from high school (best 4 year of your life ... MY ASS!!!) was getting you and Lisa a red carnation for whatever loser tradition was being celebrated (Valentine's Day, Sweetest Day, ???), just to say "Thanks!". Well, red carnations were supposed to be sent and received by "couples only" and Jeff was dating you and Jim was dating Lisa, so it was quite the scandal. Forget the fact that I was 5ft tall, weighed 120lbs, had no pubic hair, and barely growing a penis, both Jim and Jeff wanted to kick my ass. High School sucked for me, but I have fond memories of that "scandal", again, remembering how kind you and Lisa were to me. I don't know if anyone reads this stuff anymore (it was started over 3 years ago and the comments don't state the year of the post), but I thought my personal walk down memory lane was worth posting.

Great things should happen to great people, so I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT LIFE!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home