WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, July 21, 2006

MR. LIUM

Mr. Lium (Dale) was the chemistry teacher at Washington. I never had the guy at all. Chemistry scared the crap out of me. Therefore, I pretty much got nothing on the guy.

Both Dave Svatek and Richard Wheeler had him for chemistry. I'm not sure if it was the first semester or the second semester. But in one of them, Richard passed by three points. Of course he couldn't break my record of one point for Mr. Otto's class!

Apparently he had a segment of class that dealt with "unknowns." I believe the students were given a vile of liquid or something, and had to run a series of tests to determine what it was. This went on for a few weeks I think. During that time, you never saw so many different students grumbling about the same thing. I guess it was really hard.

About the only other thing I got is that Dave once went over to his house (with a few other students) and shot a few a few hoops with him. That always struck me as a bit odd.

Mr. Lium has since retired. I believe his wife's name is Diane. I think he was invloved with the Clipper City Chordsmen in some capacity. Mr. Lium must like traveling. Because he and his wife have visited 34 foreign countries. That is indeed impressive!

2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 22, 09:16:00 PM PDT, Blogger jenny said...

great teacher, funny guy, genius! i loved chem class! i love the periodic chart because of mr. lium! we made peanut brittle for godsake!

 
At Tue Jul 25, 09:55:00 PM PDT, Blogger karmadog said...

I took one Chem class in college. The instructor kept saying, "You all learned this wrong in high school. It's really like this..." And then he'd teach it just like Mr. Lium had taught it.

He was really tough. My brother told me that during a lab once, he asked Mr. Lium to repeat part of the instructions, and Lium said, "I don't know; I wasn't paying attention." Yeah, you know, I get it, but still.

I like tough teachers. I try to be a tough teacher (although I usually fail). It's a fine line between getting a kid to work harder by being stern vs. just getting the kid frustrated. He didn't exactly smother you with positive reinforcement.

Of course, being The Class of 1989's Laziest Student(tm), there wasn't much "positive" in my work for him to reinforce.

I respected the guy. He was a fine teacher. Bit scarier than he had to be, but hey, that's just me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home