WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, March 03, 2006

LORI WAVRUNEK

I first met Lori at Magee. She and I had Ms. Krause together in 5th grade.

Lori wasn't the most popular of girls. But she was friendly enough to me. At the time, she was hanging around with people like Jenny Dent and Tracy Peterson.

I had Lori in 6th grade as well. We had Mrs. Casey that year. She was friends with Sara Prust. About the only thing I can remember is that at the very beginning of the year, we were all supposed to write down our favorite song. At the time, Steve Miller's "Abracadabra" was racing up the charts on its way to #1. She told me that that was her favorite. She was looking for my approval. In other words, she wanted to see if anyone else liked her favorite, so she wouldn't feel dumb if it were read out loud. I told her I liked it too.

Later on that year, I started a sort of newspaper called "The Daily Schnozball." It ran for two days. I sort of picked on Lori and Sara in the paper. Mrs. Casey was not pleased at all (the woman hated me - seriously) and made me stop writing it. So be it.

I think Lori is one of the people I had in every class in 7th grade. But I have no real memories from her that year.

In highschool, Lori and I shared homeroom together all four years. Based on our proximity in the alphabet, our lockers were always next to one another.

At some point in high school, Lori got fitted for some sort of head gear. She seemed to wear it for years. I always thought she had enough problems just being Lori. Then she had to deal with the indignity of head gear too. Life is cruel.

In high school, Lori was friends with Tammy Swoboda for awhile.

Lori's senior picture is odd looking to me. It's the only time I ever saw her without glasses for one thing.

I don't know if Lori went onto school. But I don't think she did. She eventually married and became Lori Hornes. To my knowledge they have at least one child. Today I think they live in Sheboygan. Lori may work for the Kohler Company.

At some point in the 1990's, I believe I read a tragic article in the paper about Lori. Allegedly, she was pulling out of the Club Bil Mar parking lot in Manitowoc, somehow missed seeing a truck, and had a bad accident. As I recall, an older couple was in the other vehicle. And I believe the man died. If I recall correctly, Lori was cited for something. But I should point out that all indications were that it was an accident, and that there was no alcohol or anything involved.

UPDATE - 8/16/06 - On Saturday, 8/12/06, Kevin Dehne and I "hit the town" in search of classmates once again. Our first stop was in Sheboygan, at Lori's house. We literally caught her as she was pulling out of her driveway. She pulled into the street, saw us, and stopped. Then she pulled back in and posed for a few pictures. She was in a hurry. So we didn't have time to talk too much. About all that was mentioned was that she was a member of the Jaycees. The photos are below.





UPDATE - 11/20/06 - Here's some video from that visit on 8/12/06.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home