WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

MR. BURNS

I believe Mr. Burns was primarily a business teacher at Washington. However, I had him for a math class during my senior year. It was business math.

In order to graduate, each student had to have two credits of math. That meant four semesters. I took algebra my freshman year. I flunked the second semester. I would have flunked the first semester too, had it not been for Shawn Rappley. As a sophomore, I was put into pre-algrebra II. I passed the whole year. So I had 1.5 credits. I didn't have any math my junior year. So going into my senior year, Mr. Boehlke (the guidance counselor) told me I had to have a math class. As always, I wanted the easy way out. So he put me into business math. I asked him what kind of students were in that class. He told me it was filled with people who have trouble with math, and people like me, who were a half credit short or something, and needed it to graduate. Translation - a class filled with derelicts. Oh well. Sign me up!

The class was just what I had anticipated. It was filled with the best rejects WHS had to offer. Although Sheila Zach was in there too. I didn't quite get that. In addition to Sheila, Joy Holtz and myself, I think the rest of the class was full of juniors - most of whom probably didn't graduate.

See my entries on Joy and Sheila for additional stories regarding that class.

Mr. Burns was sort of a round man. He wasn't overly heavy. He just kind of had an odd shape. He tended to wear khaki pants and tennis shoes everyday. He also had a beard. And if memory serves, he may have had a gap in his teeth.

I got along pretty good with Mr. Burns. He was a decent guy. Of course it should be pointed out that I was far and away his star pupil. The lesson plan was really dumbed down, so to speak. His class was incredibly easy. I breezed through it with very little effort - something I was a master of. I think I may have gotten A's across the board.

Joy and I actually worked together quite a bit during the 4th quarter. Again, see my entry on Joy for the details. Burns accused her of cheating off of me for her good grade. It wasn't true though. Joy and I policed each other.

I believe Mr. Burns had a daughter named Maria. She graduated from our school in 1994.

Mr. Burns' entry has a sad ending. Sometime around 1995 or 1996, shortly after the new school year started, Mr. Burns had a heart attack and died. I believe it happened one evening at home. Regretfully, I can't recall his first name.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 27, 12:37:00 PM PDT, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Burns was on the first floor, right below the study hall room. I do believe the typing classes were right there as well.

 
At Mon Jan 22, 10:47:00 AM PST, Blogger Burnsy1990 said...

First name Robert, lived on Bellevue Place since 1973, died of a heart attack the frist day back to school 1994/1995 at the house suddenly, and yes very unexpectedly. Dad did teach typing class along with Kupsch. Also business law and business math. His room number was 122 east corner front of the school. Yvette would have graduated in 1988, I (Andrea) graduated in 1990 and Maria in 1994. Thank you for the kind comments and fond memmories!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home