WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

NICOLE BERGEON

I first met Nicole in 4th grade, in Mrs. Schmidt's class. On my first day, she walked down the aisles introducing everyone to me. I was informed that Nicole actually went by the name of "Pookie." I never knew how exactly how she came to be known as Pookie. But Pookie she was, and probably still is today.

At that time, Pookie's best friend appeared to be Julie Scott. I don't think that friendship was maintained as the years went by.

Later in that year, my friend Chris Storlie and I used to check out library books in her name. We thought it was a great scheme. But somehow we got caught for it. Perhaps it was our sloppy penmanship.

In 5th grade, Chris somehow took a fancy to her, even though I had Pookie in Ms. Krause's class, while Chris had Mr. Tisler. He got the hots for her rather quickly, as Chris invited Pookie to his birthday party - which was on September 16th. Pookie was somewhat mortified about the whole situation. But she told me that her mother forced her to go. So in order to dull the pain, she took her friend, fellow graduate Treesa Carron along. I couldn't go, as in the 10 months I'd lived in Two Rivers, Chris and I had already gotten ourselved banished from hanging out together by both his mom and my parents.

During the first few days of 5th grade, Ms. Krause actually called her Pookie. But by accident, she once blurted out "pukie." From that day on, she stuck with Nicole.

In 6th grade, I had somewhat of an incident with Pookie during recess. She and a friend had taken my gloves. I got one of them back. But Pookie took the other one and stuffed it down her shirt, saying that there was no way I would attempt to get it back.

Wrong!

I was in a great position. I found myself with a justifiable reason to stick my hands down a girl's shirt. So I went for it. After a brief struggle, Pookie realized that I wasn't going to be deterred by her actions, and gave me my glove back.

As we got into high school, Pookie excelled in several sports, including softball.

I think many people regarded Pookie as being slightly bitchy - just slightly. She certainly had an attitutde. Or perhaps it was just confidence. Picture her as a slightly smaller version of Brenda Dax.

During our senior year, my friend Dave Svatek mentioned that Pookie had given him a blowjob at some point that year. I don't know if that's true or not. But that's what he told me. He specifically said that he "lusted" after her.

Pookie's senior sweatshirt was adorned with the name "Pooks." I had a big problem with that. "Pooks" is a clear violation of the rules of nicknaming. Basically, nicknaming 101 states that you cannot have a nickname for an already existing nickname. Her name is Nicole. Her nickname is Pookie. Pooks would be a nickname of Pookie. And that's just not right. Because where does it end? Is she known as "Poo" today?

I ran into Pookie a couple of times at the video store after high school. I distinctly rememember her coming in with a baby. And if memory serves, it was not long after high school at all. She asked me if I had any kids. I said, "Not that I know of." She was still using the last name of Bergeon. So it appears as if she wasn't married at the time. However, in time, she appears to have married class of 1991's Roy Plasky. I believe she remains Nicole Plasky to this day. To my knowledge, she has two children. Last I knew, she was still living in Two Rivers, possibly working in the dentistry field.

UPDATE - 11/11/06 - Here's Pookie from our senior video. Joining her is Tina Short.

3 Comments:

At Fri Feb 10, 06:33:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Perhaps my time frame is off a bit. I do know this. She walked into T&R Video with an infant. Based on that, and the fact that she specifically asked me if I had any kids yet, made me assume that the child was in fact hers.

Looking back, I thought that conversation took place in the early 1990's. But I worked there from January, 1990 through March, 1997. So I guess the conversation could have happened at any point in those seven years. And perhaps she was babysitting for someone else too. Who knows.

 
At Fri Jun 15, 04:01:00 PM PDT, Blogger Robbin said...

I am POOKI'S (notice the spelling) sister. She got that name from my mom when she was a baby. My mom was a big Liza Minelli fan, and she was in a movie where she made alot of funny faces. Well, Pooki was a VERY chubby baby, and she would take the netting from her playpen and pull it really tight on her face, hence the nickname was born! She was married before her babies were born. Her son is only 5, and her daughter is 1. She probably had my son. He dearly loves his Auntie Pooki! As for Dave Svatek, and his comments, I think that he is in his own little dream world!

 
At Fri Jun 15, 04:14:00 PM PDT, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Oh wow! Thanks for clearing that up. What's really amazing is that about five years ago, I taped a Oscar-nominated movie off of one of the movie channels. It was called "The Sterile Cuckoo." And it starred Liza Minnelli. Check it out here. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065037/

She played a character named Pookie Adams. All the time we were watching it, I kept thinking, "I knew someone named Pookie. That's so weird!

By the way, looking at that link, you'll see that the character's name was in fact spelled P-O-O-K-I-E. Interesting.

Give my regards to Pooki. I hope all is well with her. Last summer, I ran into B.J. Lutterman. He said he sometimes goes golfing with Pooki's husband.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home