WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

MAY SOM HER

Had it not been for his picture in my senior yearbook, I would have no knowledge that this guy ever existed. Who is he? Where did he come from?

It seems like every predominantly white small town high school has a "token Asian" (is that politically incorrect?) in their class. I guess May was ours.

I know nothing about him. I have no memories of him. I don't think he joined us until our senior year. I know I never had him in any classes. Since our homerooms were alphabetical, perhaps Erin Hynek remembers him. Maybe Ross Hofmann remembers him too. Ross? Ross? Nevermind.

It looks like May's full name is Maymee Som Her. He may have married someone named Blong or Doua. I've never met any Blongs or Douas. So I don't know what gender those names would be associated with. Anyway, it looks like May now lives in Wausau, and has for many years.

UPDATE - 3/1/06 - Boy, did I screw up. I must have been picturing someone else. The "Som" threw me. May was not a boy. She was (and presumably still is) a girl. In fact, I remember her quite well. She was actually part of the class of 1988. She must not have had enough credits however, as she technically graduated with us. I had May in speech class, junior year. I think I had her in a few other classes as well. She was quiet and shy, somewhat meek. But she seemed nice.

1 Comments:

At Tue Feb 28, 12:53:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Bee had a little sister named Tsou with whom I was totally smitten. Class of 88 I think.

She also made occasional allusions to her family's origins. I was most touched by the fact that she was not entirely certain where -- or even when -- she was born. She said she may have in fact been over 20, but no one knew for sure.

Things like that change your perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home