WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, March 31, 2006

DON STUMMEIER

As far as I know, I never laid eyes on him. No one ever will again either.

I believe Don joined me for my junior year. Looking at his yearbook picture jogs no memory for me whatsoever. I only remember his name for one reason.

He killed himself.

In the summer of 1988, Don was apperently on top of the roof of Evans' Department Store. From what I heard, he took a running leap onto Washington Street, and allegedly landed closer to the other side of the street. That's a hell of a jump. Needless to say, he was killed instantly.

Who he was or what problems he had I'll never know. My friend Dave commented that he had no idea who he was either. But as he thought about it some more, he then remembered that he'd had Don in homeroom. But he'd never had any contact with him.

During our senior year, Valori Franco (who I assume was friends with Don) put the name "Stumeier" on her senior sweatshirt as a tribute to him. Rest in peace Don.

UPDATE - 4/6/06 - Don's date of death was June 14, 1988. His location of death was the 1800 block of Washington Street - which I presume coincides with Evans' address. His remains were taken to the Malcor Funeral Home in Green Bay. He was buried in a very small cemetery in Depere. The name of the place is Greenwood Cemetery. The name of his gravedigger was Dave Calloway. Next time I'm in the area, I'll look up his tombstone, and get a picture of it. Is that ghoulish?

9 Comments:

At Fri Apr 07, 12:35:00 PM PDT, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Deja & Martin? That would make sense. Because I also heard that he had landed in front of Hardee's. And if memory serves, the funeral home is on the corner, right across from where Hardee's used to be.

 
At Sun Jan 20, 02:07:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran across these posts and I guess I want to say thank you for thinking about him: He was a great kid! He did not jump HE was pushed! Never proven but I am his sister and I knew my brother very well: ask Tina Vanne and her old boyfriend Donnie what happened: anyway thanks again and there isnt a day that goes by that I dont think about my brother: yes it was off the funeral home with the police station near by: It was June 08 1989. I will always remember!! If you visit tell him I said hi!! I live in Colorado now!! Thanks again

 
At Tue Feb 05, 10:59:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Wow. Now there's an interesting comment. I do believe she has the date wrong though. I got my date from the official record. I know she has the year wrong too.

Anyway, someone else had told me that Tina Vanne was Don's girlfriend, and that he killed himself after she broke up with him or something. And whether it's true or not, the same person who told me that tidbit also said that Tina was on the street below, witnessed the fall, and even got splattered with blood.

Gruesome!

 
At Wed Jul 08, 09:48:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had Don in my Chorus class and made Chorus alot of fun with his energy he brought to the class along with his smile.
I had heard he was with Tina & there were problems and it's the same night that Don was sadly taken from the class of 89

 
At Wed Nov 25, 06:06:00 PM PST, Blogger Becky Cookle said...

I was best friends with Donnie in high school. If you didn't know him you missed out on knowing a really great person. He was funny, talented, and very thoughtful. He was so young but yet so wise for his years. He went through alot in his short years and lived a harder life than most of you. I miss him and think about him to this day. I had gotten a tatoo shortly after his death so I could always look at it and remember all the great times we had together and how much he meant to me. I would love to get in touch with his sister Lisa to see how she is doing. Her son meant the world to Donnie and he was a great uncle!

 
At Wed Nov 25, 08:06:00 PM PST, Blogger LisaMarie said...

Yeah you can email me if you want:
colorado-tlc@hotmail.com
Lisa (Donnie's Sister)
Thanks

 
At Sun Dec 13, 09:19:00 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I remember that, I was across the street when it happened. We were all drinking at Scotties house. I always question weather he was pushed? It just didn't make sense to me.

 
At Sun Dec 27, 05:28:00 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Thinking of DONNIE.....Kit Vanden Heuvel...hope all is well with the rest of your family

 
At Sun Dec 27, 05:52:00 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Thinking of your brother and family, hoping all is well as can be. Kit Vanden Heuvel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home