WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Thursday, January 12, 2006

JEREMY KARMAN

Jeremy Karman was the male equivalent of Jenny Malley. Seeing as I have a penis, I'm not one to gauge his looks. But I do know that he was probably the nicest guy I went to school with. Richard and I referred to him as "nature boy" due to his all-American looks, tall height and blonde hair. He had no problem with our nickname.

Jeremy was one of the stars of the basketball team. Being as I had no interest in such activities, I have little details. But I do know that in my junior and senior year, the basketball team was very good. For whatever reason, I switched on the cable channel 22 one evening while talking to Meff on the phone. They were showing the championship game or something. And our team lost on a last-second shot. All of the members dropped to the floor and covered their heads - with the exception of Jeremy. He stood tall. I'm not sure what that all means. I just happen to remember it.

I remember Jeremy in speech class during our freshman year. He told the story of how he and his family went on vacation (Florida?) and the airline lost their luggage. It was apparently winter time. And they all had sweaters on - in the hot Florida sun. The luggage was soon found.

I believe in our freshman year, Jeremy brought some slides to Mr. Hough's history class. Jeremy had been overseas, I believe in Germany. And since we were studying WWII at the time, he earned some brownie points. Of course with Mr. Hough, brownie points didn't last more than a day or two.

Jeremy dated a girl from the class of 1990 named Jennifer Lane. If memory serves, she didn't like to be called Jenny - probably due to the Beatles' song "Penny Lane." Although I don't know why she would take offense to it. It's a catchy tune. Knowing that I was a Beatles' fan, he once asked me to write down the lyrics for him. "Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes..." I don't know if she liked whatever it is that he gave to her.

Jeremy Karman is another rare person that I never ran into at the video store. Although I used to rent to his younger brother Nate quite often. However, I did in fact run into Jeremy on one occasion. It was in March, 1990. He was probably home on spring break. I had just purchased a camcorder - one of those bulky VHS jobs. (It was a big deal back then). Meff had come up for the weekend. And he and I were having fun with it, filming stuff all over town. We pulled into Coppes Supermarket. And with the camera still rolling, we stepped out of the car and walked to the store. All of a sudden we hear "It's Jeff... and Burt." And we found ourselves face to face with Jeremy Karman and fellow graduate Jason Anderson. I believe they both had a girlfriend with them as well. I filmed the whole thing. Our conversation lasted a minute or two, and we parted ways. I wasn't surprised by Jeremy's niceness. But Jason's surprised me. I couldn't stand the guy. And the feeling was no doubt mutual. But I guess being away froma clique can change a guy. Yes, I still have the tape.

I believe Jeremy moved to the Milwaukee area. If you search for his name, you'll see that he was involved in some sort of workers compensation lawsuit. He sued and won. Good for him!

UPDATE - 1/30/06 Jeremy is in the Milwaukee area, and is a physical therapist. He's married and has at least two kids. I'm not sure how recent the photo below is. But it's probably from the last few years.



UPDATE - 11/11/06 - Having figured out how to put video clips on this blog, I can now show the chance encounter from March, 1990. Here is Jeremy, along with Jason Anderson.

11 Comments:

At Wed Feb 01, 01:03:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

How interesting. Jenny Malley, and the guy I described as the "male equivalent" of Jenny Malley, had a little bit of a thing for each other.

A monster huh? I'll take your word for it. Speaking of the monster, I have an amusing memory of Jack. It happened after school of our junior year.

I was at my locker, stuffing something into my sock. It was something that easily fit in the palm of my hand. And it was white. Jack saw this and literally had his eyes bug out of his head. Clearly he thought that I had some sort of drugs. The next day, we crossed paths in the hall again. Jack was walking with a friend of his. Once he saw me, he started banging his friend on the arm, then pointed at me and started whispering to him. It was all I could do not to burst out laughing.

At that time, I wore sweat pants to school every single day. They never had any pockets. So I kept anything important in my locker. What was the contraband I was stuffing into my sock?

My contact lens case.

 
At Wed Feb 01, 08:52:00 PM PST, Blogger SonnyKidd said...

Another "small world" moment...my wife Wendy took a job at St. Mary's Hospital in Racine after getting her masters, she's a PT. Who else worked at St. Mary's? Jer's wife, and yes, they are both PT's and no doubt making beautiful blonde children.

 
At Thu Feb 16, 10:15:00 AM PST, Blogger SonnyKidd said...

Chief, where's Jer?

 
At Thu Feb 16, 12:17:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Am I the chief? I'll see what I can do.

 
At Thu Feb 16, 07:50:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I found him... Expect some comments from him soon. Cool!

 
At Thu Feb 16, 08:21:00 PM PST, Blogger SonnyKidd said...

Sorry Burt, you may be omnicient, but Jeff is Chief. They were attached at the hip so long I figured if anyone could bring him out of hiding it would be El Jefe. Where's Craig Rysticken? I'm surprised he's not made an appearance.

 
At Sun Feb 19, 08:48:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Who is Pete?

 
At Tue Feb 21, 09:14:00 PM PST, Blogger SonnyKidd said...

Speaking of monsters...how is that the one night Mess gets the rear window of his car shot out by Minnie, I am not there? That's just bad luck. Maybe someone who was there, would like to share this tale...

 
At Thu Mar 12, 11:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger JED said...

Does anyone read this stuff anymore? I stumbled onto the blog and a flood of memories came back (mostly bad with some good). Hope life is treating you well!!!

 
At Thu Mar 12, 11:42:00 PM PDT, Blogger JED said...

By the way, Jed=Ted. I figured I might have to jog your memory!!!

 
At Thu Jul 07, 02:25:00 PM PDT, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

ANONYMOUS: "I secretly wanted to marry Jeremy from grade 2 to my senior year. We made out a couple of times my senior year. But I had to let go of Jeremy.... one of my bigger sacrifices in my earlier life. Oh wo "was" me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home