WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

MR. HEIDNER

Mr. Heidner (Charles) was a teacher at Washington duing my freshman year. I didn't have him. But I believe he taught history classes. I'm not sure though.

By all accounts, Hediner was a really cool guy. I know that Meff really liked him. I remember him always smiling in the hallways. Of course what I remember most was the Rollie Fingers-type handlebar moustache that adorned his face. Or was that Mr. Schwantes? Yes, I think it was. Heidner just had a beard.

After freshman year, he was gone. I don't know where he went. But I do know that he was a principal, first in Kewaskum, then in Sturgeon Bay. You can read about that in the article below. Despite his apparent excitement about being in Sturgeon Bay, he didn't stay there very long. In the 1997-1998 school year, he was the principal of Adams-Friendship High School, in central Wisconsin.

I called the Adams-Friendship school. They said he retired seven years ago. Why is it that so many teachers retire at a relatively young age? I suspect that Mr. Heidner is still in Wisconsin, enjoying his retirement today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Mar 1, 1996 by ANNE DAVIS


High school Principal Charles Heidner resigned Thursday, becoming the fifth administrator in less than a year to leave the Kewaskum School District.

Heidner's resignation is effective June 30. He is leaving to become an elementary principal in Sturgeon Bay, where he will work with Kewaskum's former superintendent, David Heather.

Heather left the district last fall to become superintendent in Sturgeon Bay.

Heidner announced his resignation in a brief statement to high school staff Thursday.

"After many hours, days and months of discussion with Judy (his wife) and my doctor about mental and physical health needs vs. a sense of duty to you folks and the students at Kewaskum High School, we have decided to take a position in the Sturgeon Bay School District," the statement says.

Heidner, 52, said in an interview that medical reasons related to stress were a factor in his decision.

"This is the most difficult decision I have ever had to make," he said.

Heidner will take a pay cut from $59,600 a year to $56,000.

Because his contract with Kewaskum runs through June 1997, he paid $400 in liquidated damages. Under a standard contract provision, he is required to pay the money because he is leaving before his contract is up.

School Board President Neal Weare said he was not alarmed by the recent administrative turnover in the district.

Since last school year, curriculum coordinator Connie Strand, assistant high school principal David Dillman and elementary principal Kevin Steinhilber have resigned to take other jobs.

"I don't think anyone should read into it any more than there really is," said Weare, who suspects the small size of the district might be a factor.

As a career move, people often leave positions in smaller districts to work in a larger district, he said.

"Sometimes it's hard to accept resignations but I wouldn't want to stifle anyone's professional growth," he said.

Weare said he was not aware of any philosophic differences with Heidner.

"Not to my knowledge," he said. "He never expressed anything to me."

"I do wish him the best and appreciate the years he has given to the district," Weare said.

Heidner said he was looking forward to the chance to work with Heather again.

"That was one of the drawing cards," he said. "Over the years, I developed a very positive relationship with Dr. Heather."

He is also looking forward to the chance to work with younger students.

"It's going to be kind of a career change," he said. "I've spent 30 years working on the output side (of education). This is now going to give me a chance to work on the input side. I see this as a very exciting and challenging opportunity."

Weare said the board would formally accept Heidner's resignation at its next meeting March 11. No definite plans for finding his successor have been made, he said.

3 Comments:

At Wed Jul 26, 11:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Good stuff! I love hearing the memories of others.

 
At Wed Jul 26, 08:36:00 PM PDT, Blogger karmadog said...

I totally forgot the Arms Race picture till you mentioned it. Funny.

I liked Heidner. He was VERY good at explaining the Constitution. I wish more people (esp. those in high Government positions) understood it as well as he does.

 
At Sun Jan 07, 07:44:00 PM PST, Blogger Pewter said...

Always enjoyed the comment, "I'll come over there and tap dance on your forehead." He had an excellent teaching style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home