WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Monday, February 13, 2006

TINA SHORT

I really don't have any memories of Tina until our junior year. She was with us for all four years of high school, and probably came to us from the catholic schools.

At some point she was going out with fellow graduate Randy Ertman - a guy who could scare the crap out of you with just a look. A friend of mine (class of 1990's Jason Krings) told me one day that he was going to go out with her. Apparently her romance with Randy had recently ended. My friend Dave kind of warned him not too. Like that was going to stop him. Anyway, the two hit it off, and stayed together for at least a couple of years - despite some initial threats from Randy.

Richard and I gave nicknames to a lot of people. Tina we dubbed "Satin." I don't know if she ever fully comprehended that. But Satin she was.

In our senior year, Tina, Jason and I sat together in Ms. Neveau's mass media class. We had a blast. There were tons of group projects and things. And we always teamed up. Jason and I also had a study hall together. We'd get a pass, go to the library, and do the newspaper's crossword puzzle. The fricken' thing was hard. I'm not sure where she came from, but Tina would sometimes find a way to join us. Well, join Jason actually.

Tina had a habit of petting my hair. She always said it felt like cat hair. Now, as hideous as my hair may have looked, I can assure you, it was always clean. My hair has always been somewhat thin and wavy. And yes, it does kind of feel like petting a cat. Tina seemed to dig it. I had no complaints. In fact, she even wrote a message in a book I brought to school one day. The message is scanned in below. I guess Jason was a fiend! Click it to see a larger version.



I don't know where Jason was. But Tina and I paired up to write a song in mass media one day. No, we weren't aspiring songwriters. It was in fact an assignment. It was entitled, "A Woman Is Only A Woman. But A Good Cigar Is A Smoke." Reading it now, it seems pretty cheesy. But at the time, we liked it. And hell, Ms. Neveau gave us 10 out of 10. You can see it below. Click it to see it bigger.



After high school, Tina went onto school somewhere. I know she was still with Jason for awhile anyway. Dave and I were at Jason's house one day the year after high school. And she called him while we were there. A few years later, I ran into Tina at UW Manitowoc, coming out of professor Emmett's office - who happens to be the coolest teacher I have ever had at any level. But I digress.

Finding information on Tina has proven to be quite difficult. She seems to have disappeared. However, I think at one point in the mid to late 1990's, she moved to Texas - possibly to attend Texas Tech. To my knowledge, she's never married. And I think she may now have moved to Florida. Based on some very recently obtained information, it seems like Tina enjoys running, and is actually in touch with several female members of my graduating class.

All in all, Tina was a really cool chick. I liked her a lot. She was fun, and had a great carefree attitude. If memory serves, her birthday is next month. So happy 35th Tina. Wherever she is, I wish her well.

UPDATE - 8/14/06 - Thanks to both Erin Hynek and Tina for providing this picture, and giving me the ok to post it. This was taken in September, 2005. In addition to Tina (on the left) you can also see Erin, Josie Scott, Paula Jonas and Lisa Koch.



UPDATE - 11/11/06 - Here's Tina from our senior video. Joining her is Pookie Bergeon.



UPDATE - 6/18/07 - Thanks to Shannon Koch for providing this photo of Tina from graduation day, June 4th, 1989. Kevin Shillcox is walking with her.

5 Comments:

At Tue Feb 14, 12:01:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Well, that seems to make perfect sense. However, it probably had nothing to do with it. I'm still trying to figure out why we dubbed you "Oreo."

 
At Tue Feb 14, 12:31:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Maybe my wife should field that one for me. She finds you cute and all.

 
At Wed Feb 15, 06:15:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

So is Tina lurking in the shadows? I'd love to hear from her.

 
At Sun Feb 19, 09:03:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I guess I need to do some more singing at home.

"You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips..."

 
At Mon Aug 14, 01:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger karmadog said...

WOW. What a great picture. You guys are gorgeous. Congratulations on good health!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home