WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Thursday, February 02, 2006

GREG PAGEL

Greg Pagel was one of those "fringe" people for me. We seemd to have some similarities. But ultimately our vast differences kept us from ever becoming friends - even though we have had some mutual friends.

You couldn't miss Greg. He generally had the Buddy Holly glasses look. He was always amiable, and had an intelligent sense of humor.

According to Meff, the 5th grade behemoth known as Ms. Hynek apparently gave him a bad grade in something one day. Greg allegedly had some sort of breakdown about it, and got into a shouting match with her. I would have loved to see that.

I really don't have any memories of Greg from Clarke. However I believe that he was involved in band. Greg was a master on the piano.

In freshman year, I used to walk home with Meff everyday. One day Greg joined us. Now Meff and I had a twisted way of looking at life. And I of course was nuts. Somehow the subject drifted towards pee. Greg had been silent for awhile, and was no doubt shocked at whatever it was we were talking about. Anyway, as I casually mentioned that I had once tasted my own pee (NOTE - I do NOT recommend this. The saltiness is overwhelming and sickening. How the people into "watersports" deal with it is an absolute mystery of the cosmos) Greg collapsed to the ground in a state of panic. He composed himself before rejoining us and walking to his own home.

Apparently Greg either called Meff, or spoke with him the next day. And Greg gave him the usual riot act I often was the subject of. "Who the hell is that guy? Why do you hang around with him? Is he insane?" Ah, such was me. If I had a nickel for everytime my friends heard lines like that...

In our senior year, I had Greg in Mrs. Kluczinski's class. Previously she was known as Ms. Wisnicky. Anyway, Greg used a term that I still use to this day. In fact, I think I used it in my post on Ben Franco. The term is "black T-shirt crowd." It's used to describe the headbangers in society. Thank you Greg.

After high school, I believe Greg went on to Lawrence University to presumably study music. My friend Dave used to say that the reason Greg was so good on the piano was because he had pudgy fingers.

I ran into Greg a few times at the video store. We exchanged a few words, but never said much. I do regret one thing though. He came in once, looking for the Disney film, "One Magic Christmas." I looked in the back, and had to inform him that we didn't carry it. So Greg looked around for awhile, eventually coming up with the box for the film. I was perplexed. I looked again - still nothing. Later on I found out that my boss had filed the film in the M's - for "Magic." Greg, it was not my fault.

Today I believe that Greg is married with two kids, one son and one daughter. He lives in Manitowoc, teaching piano out of his home. He also plays various gigs with a jazz band. If you want to see what Greg looks like today, here's a link to his personal website: GREG PAGEL

UPDATE - 2/10/06 - Greg has provided a family photo. Look down. You can't miss it. Click it for a larger, clearer version.



UPDATE - 7/20/06 - Greg recently wrote and performed in a local Manitowoc musical entitled "Honkytonk Angels." On July 15th, Kevin and I stopped in to see him. The results are below.







UPDATE - 8/28/06 - Greg and his wife went to Madison yesterday and met up with fellow graduate Jenny Malley, and her husband. The four of them hung out all day, and listened to some live blues music in a park. The two pictures are below.





UPDATE - 9/8/06 - Greg has started another job. He's teaching a music course at my alma mater, UWGB. His first class was on Tuesday, 9/5/06. The day was filled with a comedy of errors. Perhaps he'll tell you about them. Needless to say, day 2 went much smoother.

UPDATE - 10/9/06 - On Saturday October 7th, 2006, Greg and his band performed at The Sands in Green Bay. Fellow classmates Lisa Pauze and Brandon Podhola also showed up to hear him. You can see the pictures below.









UPDATE - 11/22/06 - Here is some video from that July 15th visit. It's preceded by some footage of me picking up Kevin that day. Greg's was the first house we visited. "Our first victim!"



On Friday, April 13th, my family and I drove all the way up to Depere to see Greg Pagel play at some fancy restaurant where the waiter places the napkin in your lap. I had a really good burger. Anyway, it was sort of dark. And I didn't actually tape more than a 30-second hello from Greg. But, you can see it below.



UPDATE - 6/18/07 - Greg and his brother Andy played at Manitowoc's Metro Jam on June 15th. Here are two pictures from that show.



22 Comments:

At Thu Feb 02, 11:29:00 AM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Crissakes, Burt. "One Magic Christmas?" Yes, I remember that day. My mom wanted to see it. Really. God, when T&R Video did inventory, did you have to use a clipboard, or did you just keep everything on file IN YOUR BRAIN???

Anyway, your info is pretty much accurate. I lived in Boston MA for about 4 years working as a freelance musician, then my wife & I looked at each other and said, "Well, this sucks," and moved home.

We currently live in Manitowoc. I get most of my income from teaching privately, but I did start performing again after about a five-year hiatus. I have a CD you you can hear clips from on my website.

You're right Burt -- we were never intimate friends. We probably could have been, but fear of Richard forced me to keep my distance.

 
At Thu Feb 02, 11:39:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

LOL - I've been told that I have a pretty good memory.

 
At Thu Feb 02, 08:51:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Thanks Brad. I had a lot of fun hanging around with you. You made me laugh a lot. I also remember having several conversations of considerable depth. My band often plays in Green Bay -- that's where you live, right? We should reconnect.

I remember that double date. That sucked. I went with Sheila Zach, and I think you went with Kim Kohls. We saw "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." None of us liked the movie, you ran over an animal, and Sheila made it clear that there'd be no follow-up date. I guess the gods just decided to screw with us that night.

But the good news is that about a month later, I met the girl who is now my wife of -- holy crap -- nearly 12 years!!

Sheila is -- you guessed it -- divorced.

 
At Sat Feb 04, 06:24:00 AM PST, Blogger Jen said...

seems like there r lots of divorces. glad i waited til 35. greg - congrats on yr 12!! i hear yr bro took over tuppy's job - sweet! my rents have nice things to say about him (Frank is the choir dir at Ronch - with what's that kid's ame? ...played trumpet - a frosh when we were srs. whatever)

ok - y'all forced me to do it. i pulled out my purp and gold raiders folders. in which i have anote from miss neveau excusing me from my next class after we were bs'ing. it says "Jen - to homeroom today (she's lost as always)."

I'm looking at Menagerie - the book of writing from that year with Miss Z. My stuff sucked - bad. Cute snowman poem, Brad.

found a poem by him that appears to be about keeping company with himself. i didn't get it back then. duh. also found a quote of Richard "I don't believe in sex because it smells" 1436 hours 1-22-88."

ok - so in one of my essays, the title was "HOW TO START" and I added "CHAOS". Number 4 was:
"Mention N _ _ _ S _ _ _ _ _ _ to Brad and/or Greg."
What's that?

 
At Sun Feb 05, 05:02:00 AM PST, Blogger Jen said...

I had written the quote in my assignment, and Miss S wrote back: "Then there must be a whole list of things he doesn't believe in. Nearly everything 'smells' in 1 one or another."

wonder what she's up to. didn't come of u guys go to her house once? anyway....good stuff.

 
At Thu Feb 09, 01:37:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Meka-leka-hi, meka...

HI ERIN! I was hoping you'd stop in eventually. Look like Erin Hynek is next, Burt. You know what to do.

And the party keeps on a-goin'.

 
At Thu Feb 09, 03:22:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

by the way, it goes:

"cymbal snare cymbal snare
cymbal cymbal snare snare
bass bass bass bass
bell bell
triple triple
GABE!"

God, I wish I didn't remember that.

 
At Thu Feb 09, 04:15:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Boy, you guys are weird for remembering all this stuff from so many years ago. HE HE

 
At Fri Feb 10, 12:50:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Greg, the quickest way to get me to write about someone is to have that person show up and comment. Erin is now up.

By the way, I'm having problems with uploading your pic. It might be a blogger.com problem. I'm working on it.

 
At Tue Feb 14, 07:08:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Well, I guess now is as good a time as any for some shameless self-promotion...

Erin (and whoever else): My email is pagelg@sbcglobal.net

My cheap-ass website is
www.greg-pagel.blinkz.com -- it has some upcoming gig info.

The band I'm in just had a site made. It's under construction, but you can see it at
www.openinterestjazz.com

Finally, you can order my CD at
www.cdbaby.com/pagel ...Feel free to support a struggling former classmate! I think Meff is going to put up some mp3's on this site... although I don't know how...

 
At Wed Feb 15, 12:12:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Meff has indeed said he would get the mp3 on the blog. But having him say it and having him actually do it are two vastly different things. Doing it isn't the problem. The problem is lighting a fire under his butt to get him motivated to do it.

 
At Thu Feb 23, 01:25:00 PM PST, Blogger Jen said...

greg - how's yr bro (jeff, yes?)? i hear good things abt the baby bro, but wonder abt the rest of the clan? thought my mom might've heard an update recently, but who listens that closely to their moms?

 
At Thu Feb 23, 01:55:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Bite your tongue Jen. I listen to your mom everyday. Oh the things she says about you...

 
At Thu Feb 23, 06:37:00 PM PST, Blogger Jen said...

ha! i said i don't always listen to her...but that doesn't mean we don't believe the other walks on water....

if u've listened to my mom, u'd know that i'm perfect, sweet, beautiful blah blah blah. oh, and that i'm full o crap. (she's not that blind.)

GREG! how's yr fam?

 
At Fri Feb 24, 09:16:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

My fam:

Maya, 2, is in rehab.
Collin, 6, will be out of prison next month.

My wife, Melissa, is the president af Algeria.

 
At Sat Feb 25, 06:34:00 AM PST, Blogger Jen said...

it's so funny how yr life shifts when u hv kids. i hv not, so my "fam" is still my mom, dad, etc. u hv kids, and yr fam is the peeps in yr household. i actually was asking about yr older brother, of who i hv pleasant memories from band.

and for yr current fam; damn cute kids despite their troubles.

 
At Sat Feb 25, 09:35:00 AM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Vowels, Jen. You can do it.

Andy is the band director at TRHS. Meanwhile, the moon cracks in hald and the sky starts to bleed. He has a wife and 2 kids.

Older bro Jeff is an engineer. Lives near Madison. Married; bun in the oven.

Mom co-owns a real estate business or something. Dad is retired, Watches Martha Stewart and builds R/C model planes.

That's about it... I'll keep you posted on any developments.

 
At Sun Feb 26, 12:11:00 PM PST, Blogger Jen said...

tell jeff Hi. & congrats on the bun. i hear good things of yr baby bro.

sorry - too impatient 4 typing, proofing & vowels. plus i work in an industry of abbreviations & acronyms.

gr8 post 4 beth.

 
At Mon Feb 27, 07:46:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

thnx jn

tll chrs h

 
At Tue Feb 28, 05:05:00 AM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Meff, you're a double crosser and a liar.

Kenny was a Jehova's Witness, not a Buddhist.

Turd.

 
At Wed Mar 01, 03:08:00 PM PST, Blogger Jen said...

will i ever grow up and not get the giggles when i see the word turd in print? or for that matter, not laugh when someone says 'duty' (and I always hear doody).

i admit it. am officially jealous of meff and greg in grade school. lisa pauze & i were not nearly so creative. post some Superperson stuff!

 
At Thu Jan 03, 06:32:00 PM PST, Blogger swp said...

Hey Greg! Its been a long time since we've talked. It seems like everything is going good for you. I do remember an incident that almost cut your artistic and musical career short.(its hard to do either without a thumb).I think you probably remember it well. So I guess I should explain to everyone what it is...... We were 10 or so and somehow we managed to catch a gopher in a five gallon bucket in my backyard and bring it to Greg's house, and for some reason without regard for life or limb, (or possibly a love for vermin)Greg reaches into the bucket and picks it(gopher)up. I learned two things that day, #1 Don't pick up pissed off gophers , and #2 Greg's voice can reach a pitch higher than what even a dog is capable of hearing when he has a critter clamped on his thumb. I have strictly adhered to #1 thus far. As far as # 2 is concerned, I don't believe it's possible to match(too many variables ambient temp,humidity,alighnment of certain planets ect). So I hope Greg has taught everyone through his bravery and self sacrifice, a valuable lesson. So Greg, I thank you. And by the way, it's a toss up as to who's mom was more scared by us. I hope you remember this(in a humorous way),because I'll never forget it. Take care Greg!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home