WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, January 27, 2006

TRACY MESSMAN

I met Tracy in freshman year. Over our four years together, I'm not sure I ever had any conversations with her. But she seemed pleasant enough.

How can I put this delicately? I don't know if I can. Tracy had a very masculine-looking face. Everyone knew it. I would hope that most people never said anything to her about it. But alas, there was Mike Zeman. I had both Mike and Tracy in Mr. Scriver's sophomore year history class. One day, as we were all shuffling into class, Mike walked in, pointed to the seated Tracy, and yelled quite loudly, "Look at her. She's a man!" Tracy looked disgusted. I'll admit, it was kind of funny to see someone act as brazen as that. But I felt sorry for Tracy too, as it was kind of mean.

Tracy was into sports. Don't ask me to verify them. But I think she played baseball, basketball and volleyball.

During our junior year, Dave, Richard and I would sometimes go downstairs, and hang out with Ms. Neveau, in her homeroom. She was a first year teacher - a cool teacher too. She kind of treated the three of us as peers, as opposed to students. Anyway, one day, Tracy came in to drop something off to her. As she left the room, Ms. Neveau turned to Richard and said, "She's more of a man than you are." A bit cruel and inappropriate for a teacher, but damn funny nonetheless! The three of us burst out laughing.

I'm sure there were some who thought that due to her manly face and athletic abilities, that Tracy was a lesbian. I don't know if that's true. But I can confirm that she did in fact get married. She became Tracy Newberg. They divorced in 2000. I don't think they had any kids together. The last I knew, she was still living in Two Rivers.

UPDATE - 11/10/06 - Here is Tracy from her appearance on our senior class video.



UPDATE - 5/31/08 - Tracy got married again. She actually got married in September of 2007. I just forgot to mention it until now. So congratulations Tracy.

6 Comments:

At Mon Feb 13, 08:44:00 AM PST, Blogger mimikatemom said...

Tracy may have been perceived as a little intense in HS...but she has softened in the years since. I first met her in Mr. Houer's (sp?)class which by some grace of God managed to pass. Does anyone remember him working out problems on the board and coming up with the wrong answers? I was always completely lost. I got to know her better when we played softball together and she could always be counted on for comic relief with that dry wit she has. She was constantly telling Brenda D to shut up and I think everyone else was afraid to. She's still take on anyone in a battle of words and most likely come out on top! She drove to my wedding in a snow storm and I will always love her for that.

 
At Tue Feb 14, 10:23:00 AM PST, Blogger Brad Strouf said...

Mr. Heuer was the worst trig teacher that has ever walked the face of this earth...I credit him for my inability to go further in math classes.

Oh, I liked Tracy alot too.

We got together with her and Jon a few times post-high school, we had fun. I haven't heard from her in a long time.

 
At Mon Feb 20, 07:27:00 AM PST, Blogger PJ said...

It's taken me a while to comment on this one. Tracy has always been and always will be one of my very good friends. I just have a hard time with the criticisms in this blog...they are God-given traits...things that one can do nothing about...and therefore, much more hurtful. Criticize one's personality...one can try to make a change...Unless you head to Dr. 90210 (I love that show), all you have is hurt feelings by these types of remarks. I guess this one really hurt me too, because Tracy is my friend. I think she is a very pretty woman with a heart of gold. She is my eldest son's godmother and I couldn't ask for better.

WAS intense, Erin? Oh, Tracy still ranks among the top in intensity. It comes in handy. She is a single woman, working professional and owns her own home and takes care of herself. I'm proud of her.

Yeah...Heuer sucked. He could confuse a kid in no time flat...did you guys ever witness one of his tantrums? I got to see him throw a desk or two around. He was a very inspiring teacher, that's for sure.

Tracy...I love you.

 
At Mon Feb 20, 09:26:00 AM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Paula, your comments are appreciated. I just hope you understand that my entries on Tracy as well as everyone else were never meant for an audience. They are my memories, the way I saw them.

Believe me, hurting someone is the last think I would ever want to do. I am a kind person. In regards to Tracy, I never had any problems with her whatsoever. But the incidents that I mentioned did actually take place. So I wrote about them - for me.

I never knew Tracy. but from what others have said, she's a lovely person. I'd welcome her comments anywhere.

 
At Mon Feb 20, 01:52:00 PM PST, Blogger HappyMama said...

I, for one, enjoy hearing all of the sides to each of these biographies. Isn't it interesting to hear how several viewpoints can be made on one subject? Lately, I've seen the senior class video more times than I care to remember, but I am certainly enjoying matching those faces to their new lives, comparing the goals and dreams of '89 to the realities of today.

Tracy sounds like a wonderful woman with equally wonderful friends! I look forward to hearing more from everyone!

Nikki, Burt's wife

 
At Mon Jun 19, 03:29:00 PM PDT, Blogger frbb said...

Tracy,

Welcome to a part of my world!!

You may or may not understand what I have meant by this comment, welcome.

I apologize for not recognizing you last time I saw you, until you mentioned your name, then I remembered.

Thanks for sharing in the greatest day of my life about one year ago and congratulations!! I look forward to getting to know you better in the future.
Blessings to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home