WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Thursday, January 12, 2006

TRUTH DEFEATS LIBEL

That's what my newspaper writing professor told me when I was a senior in college, and writing for the campus newspaper.

I've already had two people suggest to me that things I've said could potentially get me sued. But I beg to differ.

Libel is a term that describes falsehoods in publication which may damage a person's reputation.

I would never do that. Everything I've written, and will continue to write will be completely truthful. If I'm not sure about something, I'll say so right away. Some of what I write will be second hand information. But it will be my first hand account of hearing that information from another party.

For instance, I have no idea if Lisa King had an eating disorder, nor do I really care. But there's no question at all that there were rumors that she had one.

The First Amendment to the Constitution grants me the right to do this. So I will. This blog is for me and my memories and opinions. I have no malice or ill will towards anyone I went to school with. I mean them no harm whatsoever.

This blog is for me. Why on Earth would I lie to myself? That makes no sense. What purpose would it serve?

Truth defeats libel. You will find no libel here.

1 Comments:

At Wed Feb 08, 10:01:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I believe that slander is the spoken word, while libel is something written.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home