WASHINGTON HIGH SCHOOL TWO RIVERS WI CLASS OF 1989

Friday, November 24, 2006

PRIDE

I enjoy writing. It's something I think I'm fairly good at. Prior to this blog, I hadn't done any sort of creative writing in years - not since my senior year in college, when I wrote for UWGB's newspaper.

I missed it.

My pal Meff on the otherhand (a very good writer in his own write) - ha! Get it? "In his own "write?" Anyway, he has been writing for roughly 15 years. If you've read my entry on him, you'll know what I'm talking about. For years, he's had the hopes and dreams of breaking into the film business - on the writing side of things. Granted, this is a very tough thing to do - especially here in Wisconsin. The odds of breaking into the business in Hollywood is tough enough. Trying to do it in Milwaukee might be impossible.

Anyway, not long ago, a small time director (who does have a film under his belt) that Meff knows, asked him to write a script for a horror film. Meff said sure. Meff also enlisted my help to write some scenes - specifically some of the gory ones. I said sure.

Well, the director loved it. The director also (allegedly) has some financial backers ready to shoot this low-budget flick, possibly this spring.

Will it happen? Who knows. I believe Meff has been through this a couple of times in the past, and nothing has come of it. But I do know this much. A contract has been signed. And when (or if) the financing comes through, Meff and I will get paid for the writing. It's not $1,000,000 or anything. But it's nice, nonetheless. Plus we'll also share in a "back end deal" when (and if) this film makes any money.

Is this exciting? Sure! Will it come to be? I hope so. All you need is a foot in the door. Like I said, Meff has been through this a couple of times before. But I haven't. So I'm bubbling with pride - even though despite our 50/50 agreement, Meff probably did about 75% of the writing. But now there's talk of doing more. So hopefully that 70/30 work split can even itself out to a 50/50 split. I would like that. I'm excited, and want to do more.

Anyway, it's been a fun week. Tonight the family and I are driving to Sioux Falls, SD. Tomorrow we'll then be driving up to Fargo, ND. Then on Sunday, we'll drive back home. It's our little Dakota mini-vacation.

4 Comments:

At Fri Nov 24, 07:44:00 PM PST, Blogger karmadog said...

Quick heads-up... I was at lunch with Ron Howard last week, and he signed me to write the script for "Class of 1989.blogspot: The Movie."

Ya gotta be quick in this business, kid.

 
At Sat Nov 25, 11:40:00 AM PST, Blogger THE GOON said...

What the hell is a "back-end deal"? Sounds funky to me. I like that Brad, that is funny "the math police"

 
At Sat Nov 25, 04:19:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Good catch. I had originally put it at 70/30 - but changed it when I had finished. But I forgot to change it in both places.

Math police!

 
At Wed Nov 29, 01:16:00 PM PST, Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Not often enough, huh? So what do you want from me, an entry on Mr. Kern? Ok. That should be a good one. I'll see if I can whip him out tomorrow. In the meantime, reread Mrs. Casey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home